SZA – She Gets It (Story)

Published on February 9th, 2018

SZA: She Gets It
BY- Maia Paras Evrigenis

The first time I heard SZA’s CTRL my coworker and I were, as usual, enveloped by pine trees driving the windy road to the only good bar in town, Pete & Peters. We were in Lake Tahoe, working and living on a cabin rental property. To the guests, we were innocent young women between degrees with a love of nature, but what they didn’t know was that we were often answering their calls and fixing the wifi on little to no sleep, due to Lake Tahoe’s impressive night life, full of young and single locals in search of adventure. I entered a pool of complicated flings with mountain men those few months, and CTRL easily became the soundtrack to the summer from its first track, ‘Supermodel,’ in which the R&B/Soul star sang relatable lines like, “Why am I so easy to forget like that? It can’t be easy for you to get like that” and “Leave me lonely for prettier women, you know I need too much attention.” SZA’s music had the sexy sound and feel of my nights off, along with the insecurity that inevitably comes along with a summer like this. It’s no surprise that SZA was the most nominated woman at the Grammy’s this year, as this openness and honesty has set her apart.

Though this vulnerability is arguably her greatest strength, SZA is obviously not the only singer to make herself vulnerable in music today. Beyonce and Rihanna not only have empowering songs about being sorry they’re not sorry and men needing them more than the other way around, but also about how emotionally effected they’ve been by relationships. In Rihanna’s ‘Never Ending’ off her 2016 album Anti, she sings, “We lost connection…come back to me, so I can feel alive again” and in ‘Sandcastles’ from Beyonce’s Lemonade, we hear “I scratched out your name and your face, what is it about you that I can’t erase?” These women have made themselves vulnerable too, by admitting they need a guy to feel good, and that they can’t get over someone no matter how hard they try.

I listened to Beyonce and Rihanna before I ever listened to CTRL, so then why did I feel like SZA was the only person that summer to really understand how I felt when the hiker I’d been skinny dipping with broke it off, or how fake nice I was at bars to a genuinely sweet girl who was into the same new guy I was? If SZA isn’t the first to be vulnerable in her approach of the female dating experience, why did I listen to her album all the way through for the first time and think: Finally somebody gets it! As I’ve explored this idea further, I’ve realized that what sets SZA apart is not that she is vulnerable. It’s that she is the only one who is pulling vulnerability off, because she’s taking it to a different level. SZA doesn’t compartmentalize feelings into specific songs like the others, whose albums go back and forth between confidence and empowerment and being sad or confused about men, rarely, if not ever, overlapping.

SZA’s way of combining confidence and insecurity is especially evident in her music video for ‘Drew Barrymore’ in which she lays on a couch surrounded by the remnants of a party, her hand on her inner thigh singing “You came with your new friend and her mom jeans and her new vans and she’s perfect and I hate it” and later almost naked in heels in a laundromat, sings, “I’m sorry I’m not more attractive… I’m sorry I don’t shave my legs at night.” SZA’s music shows that you don’t have to be completely secure to be sexy, you can be jealous of others while still knowing you’re hot, and you can be nervous about where you stand with a guy, while being the one in control. Further, SZA hits on ideas we don’t often hear in music or from celebrities, like the expected maintenance of the female body before sex. Her honesty about the body along with jealousy, attraction, and loneliness is almost brutal, as she sings lines like “I get so lonely, I forget what I’m worth…we get so lonely, we pretend that this works…I’m so ashamed of myself think I need therapy.” She’s not just singing about being alone or wanting somebody. She’s saying she feels ashamed. These lyrics completely expose her.

But CTRL is not brilliant only because of lyrical “shock factor.” It’s not just what she says that makes SZA so great, it’s how she says it, with her voice that makes you feel exactly what she feels, and the beats behind it that get you dancing in the car. You’re not only rocking out, feeling her hurt and her adventures, but you’re also feeling refreshed, because you know the words you’re singing along to are the truth. This honesty translates into relief for listeners like myself, who feel or have felt similar ways, but have never heard somebody else—somebody famous—take emotions this far.

Comments

1. Posted by budders on February 24th, 2018, 19:20 [Reply]

As I web site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling fantastic , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

2. Posted by by nature on February 24th, 2018, 08:18 [Reply]

You are my aspiration, I own few blogs and occasionally run out from post :).

3. Posted by read more on February 24th, 2018, 04:18 [Reply]

There are some interesting points in time in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There’s some validity but I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

4. Posted by see private instagram pictures on February 24th, 2018, 03:44 [Reply]

I was suggested this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You’re amazing! Thanks!

5. Posted by carats on February 23rd, 2018, 14:35 [Reply]

One thing I have actually noticed is that often there are plenty of misguided beliefs regarding the banking institutions intentions any time talking about foreclosed. One misconception in particular is the fact that the bank would like your house. The financial institution wants your money, not the house. They want the bucks they lent you along with interest. Averting the bank is only going to draw any foreclosed summary. Thanks for your write-up.

6. Posted by casuistries on February 23rd, 2018, 03:32 [Reply]

Thanks for revealing your ideas on this blog. Furthermore, a fable regarding the banks intentions if talking about foreclosures is that the bank will not take my repayments. There is a certain quantity of time in which the bank requires payments from time to time. If you are far too deep inside the hole, they will commonly desire that you pay the particular payment in whole. However, i am not saying that they will have any sort of repayments at all. Should you and the traditional bank can seem to work some thing out, a foreclosure procedure may end. However, in the event you continue to neglect payments beneath new program, the foreclosures process can just pick up exactly where it left off.

7. Posted by china mold maker on February 23rd, 2018, 03:21 [Reply]

Can I just say what a reduction to find someone who actually knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know learn how to carry a difficulty to light and make it important. Extra people must learn this and perceive this side of the story. I cant imagine youre not more common since you undoubtedly have the gift.

8. Posted by calathian violet on February 22nd, 2018, 21:57 [Reply]

I wanted to check up and allow you to know how really I cherished discovering your site today. I would consider it a good honor to do things at my workplace and be able to make use of the tips provided on your blog and also be involved in visitors’ feedback like this. Should a position of guest article writer become available at your end, please let me know.

9. Posted by adidas zx flux on February 22nd, 2018, 21:38 [Reply]

For Jordan and gregg popovich comments James never hit back, but just yesterday in the knight’s basketball stadium set aside a James training video, far look like illusions emerged both Owen, a carefully look just know is James
    adidas zx flux

10. Posted by Best Rent a Car in Lahore on February 22nd, 2018, 04:43 [Reply]

I know top Blog professionals would really like your blog. You have a good head on your shoulders. You always know just what to say. I truly appreciate this page. Neat post.

11. Posted by ytwgdiopj on February 22nd, 2018, 04:00 [Reply]

SZA – She Gets It (Story) « PHAT INC. MAGAZINE!
    ytwgdiopj http://www.g1u9i0roz402pe797oeu839546r5kphhs.org/
    [url=http://www.g1u9i0roz402pe797oeu839546r5kphhs.org/]uytwgdiopj[/url]
    aytwgdiopj

12. Posted by adidas nmd xr1 on February 22nd, 2018, 03:56 [Reply]

With three points to beat John wall, the day before yesterday the wizards will competition into the tiebreak wars, 8:00 tomorrow the wizards will be tie-break at Celtic and rival.
    adidas nmd xr1

13. Posted by kevin durant jersey on February 22nd, 2018, 03:54 [Reply]

NBA players in addition to playing badly, and also an art cells, for two consecutive years in the NBA finals two teams join forces with the warriors and knight, but only two dancers, two teams played neck and neck, dancing is close, take a look at
    kevin durant jersey

14. Posted by Thalia on February 22nd, 2018, 02:45 [Reply]

I have actually been taking 2 each day, 1 60 mins prior to lunch and also 1 in the late afternoon before dinner as
    well as have shed a great deal of weight started taking it I was viewing TV and I saw just how a doctor was supporting
    this product so I stated why not and also
    it functioned!